Notes |
- https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/151408179/george-weaver
The cemetery is located on the Weaver farm near Little Darby Creek in the southeast corner of the Pike Township, Madison County, Ohio, and is # 7153 (Weaver Cemetery) in “Ohio Cemeteries 1803-2003”, compiled by the Ohio Genealogical Society.
[4]
- Elizabeth Hempleman’s Line
Elizabeth Hempleman, daughter of George Hempleman the First and Margaret Duffy Hempleman, was born near Philadelphia in 1777, and married George Weaver in 1800, in Hardy County, Virginia. They, in company with her father and brother George, started on that journey with two horses and a wagon, but in those days of travel, across the Blue Ridge mountains it was almost an impossibility with an empty wagon, and they, like their brother had to abandon the wagon somewhere in the mountains, and load all their possessions on the two horses, and the family traveling on foot to Clarke County, Ohio, and late in the fall they settled on a farm west of South Charleston, Ohio. It being late in the fall, no houses were obtainable, and they were compelled to live in an open camp for want of better shelter, there being plenty of timber in those days, they had no trouble in keeping warm, by burning large heaps of logs, and by these log heaps they did all their cooking. They lived in Clarke County, about ten years, in 1817 or 1818 they moved into Madison County, Ohio, and engaged in farming and the raising of stock. They were prosperous and accumulated a large fortune for those days, leaving about three thousand acres of land to their children when they died.
To George and Elizabeth Hempleman Weaver were born eleven children as follows: Catherine, Elizabeth, Jacob, Solomon, John, Joseph, George, Margaret, Sarah, David and Mary.
[2]
- George Weaver, also a native of Pennsylvania, settled on the place now owned by Aaron Weaver about 1817-18, as we find his deed recorded in January, 1818. He was married to Elizabeth Hempleton. Their children were Jacob, who married Polly Nagley, and settled on the home farm where he resided till his death; Solomon, married Lydia Niles, and settled near the home place, but subsequently removed to Illinois and settled near Clinton. where he now resides; one daughter married David Morris, but is now deceased; John, married Elizabeth Morse, and settled and resides in this township: Elizabeth, married John H. Surfus, and settled here first, but subsequently removed West and now resides in Illinois; George, married a Miss Morse, and resides in Illinois; Joseph, married a Miss Cobbler, and settled in the West; David, settled in the West; Mary, married John Sterritt, and settled in Monroe Township, but subsequently removed to the West. Mr. George Weaver, the father of this large family, was one of those industrious, thoroughgoing Pennsylvanian farmers, who knew how to make money and how to invest all his surplus capital, and the result was that he became owner of 3,000 acres of fine land.
Source: http://madisonoh.ancestralsites.com/bios/w/George_Weaver.php
History of Pike, OH
From: The History of Madison County, Ohio
Published by: W. H. Beers & Co., Chicago, 1883
CHAPTER VIII. PIKE TOWNSHIP
[5]
- Page 752
It is believed that the first grist-mill ever erected in the township was in the northwest corner of the township, on the Little Darby, built by George Van Ness, about 1820. This was a three-story frame, quite an imposing structure at that early day, and was, of course, run by water-power. But it continued in use until about two years, when the dam was washed out and never rebuilt, and consequently the building was never used again for mill purposes. About 1825, Messrs. Lockwood & Nelson erected a gristmill on the Little Darby, in the northeast part of the township, on land now owned by Mrs. Hampshire. Subsequently, these men were succeeded in the ownership of the mill by James Snodgrass, and he again by Albert Lombard, who was succeeded by L. D. Mann, who was the last to run the mill, after which it stood idle and went, to decay. About 1830-31, George Weaver and his son John built a saw-mill on the Little Darby, on lands now owned by Joseph Weaver. This saw-mill was run about ten years and then went into decay. These appear to have been the principal early mills. In later years there have been a few other mills, principally of the portable kind, which have been moved from place to place as timber and occasion required.
[5]
|